Alright, Just finished playing through the introduction and Sequence One of Assassin’s Creed II. So far, very impressed. My only reservation, is that it really jumps into the story right where Assassin’s Creed I left off. This isn’t a problem for me, however if someone started the game and hadn’t played the first one then they might be a little lost. Not completely lost though. Assassin’s Creed II starts out with a basic recap, but almost too basic. Pretty much, we know that there is this ongoing war between Templars (Bad Guys) and Assassins (Good Guys), and this war has been going on for hundreds of years. Desmond, the hero that you play as, is a descendant of some super famous and influential Assassin’s throughout history. You use a device called The Animus to relive the memories of Desmond’s descendants. Its all very technical and goes into memories within DNA (all that explaining takes place in the first game). In the first one you play Altair, in Assassin’s Creed II the main character is Ezio Auditore da Firenze. The usual cool young action hero that’s rebellious but noble; breaks laws yet is heroic, and just the right amount of arrogant.

The game is broken into Sequences, which are pretty much chapter or levels or whatever you want to call them. Sequence one, like most games, is super easy and simply; its main purpose is to familiarize the gamer with the controls and visuals while also, similar to a novel, hook the gamer into playing more. Assassin’s Creed II definitely does this. There was a half of a second where I felt that there was too much mindless “errand running”, but I can understand from a developers point of view that its better to have extra “errand running” to familiarize the noobs and slightly pester the experienced gamers, than less “errand running” and have most people who are just starting out think it’s too hard.  Towards the end of sequence one though, the game storyline really starts. The gamer notices that there is a lot of corruption in the city, Republic Florenza 1476. The sequence ends with Ezio’s Father and Two brothers being imprisoned and executed for false charges, betrayed by their close family friend. Ezio gets the sweet Assassin’s Robes and a cool sword (which he immediately loses…).

Graphics are great, the cool Free-Running game play style as well at the combat and parry finishing moves make the game extremely fun to start out with, I am curious to see if it will get old or if they will be able to keep it fresh. Musical score is good, nothing incredible, but it works very well with the scenes. Nothing is out of place in that department. Level design is a big achievement for this game I think, very elaborate and large levels that really give the feel of 15th Century Italy, or what I would imagine that would feel like. Really good voice acting as well. This is something that, for me, can make or break a game. If a game has awesome graphics and fun game play but the voice acting is terrible, if really ruins the experience for me. Its like watching a crappy B (or C) movie with awesome special effects. Its cool to look, but after a while you realize its pretty lacking. (Arkham Asylum voice acting is sweet!)

So far so good. I can’t wait to play the next sequence.